NWGRC Home for the Holidays

Home for the Holidays

Transitioning from a Nursing Home to a Personal Home

As Perry Commo so eloquently sang, “There’s no place like home for the holidays.” This year, NWGRC’s Area Agency on Aging (NWGRC-AAA) is thrilled to have helped transition 22 individuals back into the community—12 since July. This accomplishment is something truly exciting to celebrate this holiday season.

Home for the Holidays is a program that assists individuals returning to the community from a nursing home, inpatient facility, hospital, or immediate care facility. ​NWGRC-AAAs expert case managers help families and clients make informed decisions based on capabilities and accommodations.

In 2005, Georgia’s long-term care expenditures were 1.5 billion dollars, with 70% spent on institutional long-term care. The remaining 30% was used to fund Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS). Since then, a project entitled Money Follows the Person allows more individuals to be free of institutional care and instead live in a personal home. Transitional services, including peer support, household furnishings, household goods and supplies, moving expenses, utility deposits, security rent deposits, transportation, equipment and supplies, environmental modifications, and more, may be available.

Lindsay Wilson, the assistant director of the NWGRC-AAA, currently oversees the program. “I have had the privilege of transitioning three people in November from a nursing facility to their own apartment. All three are thriving in the community, and each expressed how grateful they are to be part of such a great program and to be home for the holidays,” explains Wilson.

Below is a short list of qualifications that must be met for the services to be activated:

Money Follows the Person

  • The recipient must be in a nursing home/nursing facility for at least sixty consecutive days.
  • Must apply and receive at least one day of nursing home Medicaid.
  • Must have community Medicaid.
  • Must enroll in Medicaid Waiver.

Nursing Home Transitions

  • The recipient must be in a nursing home or short-term rehabilitation for at least 20 days.
  • Must be 55 or over.
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or have legal status (documentation is required).
  • Income must be below $6,175 per month.

For further information regarding Home for the Holidays, Money Follows the Person, and Nursing Home Transitions; please contact Lindsay Wilson at LWilson@NWGRC.org.